Friday, March 6, 2009

YOU SAID IT, DUDE

A funny thought hit me as I reflected on one of the comments I got at the Cape Hatteras ORV public comment period last week. As I stepped down, a guy said: "You can't be a surfer, you didn't say 'dude' once." Anyone who knows me knows that's a bullshit lie; I call everyone 'dude.' (My wife, my mom, my kid...it's a terrible habit.) But it goes to show the effect image has on these fights. All the more reason we need to prove that surfers aren't all foul-mouthed teenage stoners and proponents of public nudity. (Just the really good ones.)

For proof, you can peek at this piece my broker -- yes, my broker -- sent me. (Take that stereotypes!):
pressdemocrat.com/article/20090301/NEWS/903010966/1350?Title=Life-s-cool-for-surfer-dudes

Talks about dentist/lawyer/vintner types who ride waves in Nor Cal. Some of them even -- eek! -- bodyboard. It's just these, uh, dudes we need to tap into to prove that surfers are an element worth keeping around.

As always, if you haven't already, please go to Surf-First.org and take the survey to prove our value to the powers-that-be. And, to my stock broker: thanks for the tip. (Psst: I put everything in a diversified portfolio of Little Debbie snack cakes, Simpsons DVDs, Grateful Dead tie-dyes -- and surfboards. Lots and lots of surfboards)

No comments:

Post a Comment